Monday, June 16, 2008

You Almost Lost Me...

This weekend was AWESOME! It was just what I needed. I am so thankful for awesome friends and for a job (although it frustrates me greatly right now) that allows me to earn money to do fun things! This weekend we went to Crivitz, WI. It's in the north woods. Husband's grandpa lives there. There were about 12 of us that went. We got in later Friday night and headed to the Mohawk for a drink. Or as husband calls it "to pay our boat launch fees" I laughed so hard it hurt that night. The bartender was great and I think we may have spent a total of like 4$. She eventually kicked us out around 3am. We walked back to the the house because it's with in walking distance and decided we should light a fire. We lit a fire and before I knew it the sun was coming up and thought wow maybe we should go to bed. I think I got about 2-3 hours sleep Friday night. We got up and Garth and I went to the store to buy food for breakfast and Garth and Rose helped make breakfast. BTW I'm a terrible pancake flipper! Garth wouldn't even eat the pancakes I tried to flip. Jerk! Anyway... We all packed up and headed to Kosir's to do a little white water rafting! We're almost there when out of no where there's a BEAR in the middle of the road. That's right a big ol' black bear. Paul slammed on the breaks and the bear ran off into the woods.

So we get to the rafting place and we get ready to go but first we have to listen to a "guide" give us the in's and out's of rafting the Peshtigo. For those of you that don't know, the river is above flood stage almost anywhere in middle to southeastern Wisconsin and it's not a whole lot better up north. The guide stated it was at 7 feet on Friday and today (sat.) it was at 13 feet and rising. He then started talking about how everyone was going to flip and fall out so we needed to listen very carefully to safety instructions. (we totally THOUGHT he was exaggerating) Worst part of the whole thing the guys name was Chicago and he was a cubs fan. I should have known at that point it was going to be rough ha ha.

Husband really wanted to kayak so I said fine I'll kayak too. They don't let you take these kayak's out if the water is over 15 feet and it was at 13 and rising. In other words I can't believe they let us take these stupid things out. I totally flipped over on the first CLASS THREE drop. That wasn't so bad I thought it was kind of funny and if you saw the pictures it's even better! I got back in my raft and proceeded to watch the majority of my friends flip out of their kayaks too. We all get back in and go on our journey. At this point I'm finding it hard to stay together with the rest of the group because people kept flipping and getting stuck on rocks and what not. I come to the last end of the rapids, the ones the guide termed the "slaughter house" and sure enough I flip out at the beginning and this was NOT a place you want to flip out at. It was about a quarter mile of rocks and rapids. Some guy who was not part of our "group" and I use the term group liberally because there were like 6 guides and like 80 people, but he rescued me. He threw me a rope and pulled me in and then some other guy came and put me in his boat and took me to where the water was calmer so I could hop in a boat with my smarter friends who took rafts.

I thought I was going to drowned and the only thing I could think was keep your feet up and you'll eventually come out but I kept hitting rocks and the water kept pushing me under and you know what? I would totally do it again! Maybe not anytime soon but I would do it again. I did pretty well for not having done anything like that before. Although I really look forward to August when we go tubing in the dells because that might be a little more relaxing and a lot less DANGEROUS!

1 comment:

Ron said...

Thank you for not dying! I SO hate funerals!

Seriously, glad you had a good time. Those belly laughs are refreshing, ain't the?!